Sir John Barrow Monument

Edited by Jack Layfield

This is the story of Ulverston’s famous landmark.

The Sir John Barrow Monument was erected on Hoad Hill in 1850 to commemorate the life of Ulverston born Sir John Barrow, Second Secretary to the Admiralty from 1804-1845. From humble beginnings John Barrow rose to become a major influence in promoting British exploration, particularly in West Africa and the search for a North West Passage. The late Jack Layfield has skillfully edited the story of the construction of the monument to his memory from accounts in the local newspaper at the time.

Price £4.99 (inc P&P)

  • Paperback: 80 pages / B&W illustrations
  • Publisher: Handstand Press (2005)
  • Dimensions: 20.4 x 14.6 x 0.6 cm
  • ISBN: 978-0-9552009-0-8
  • Category – Local History
Jack Layfield.

Jack Layfield was a keen local historian.  Born and brought up in Ulverston he began his working life there as an apprentice watchmaker.  Following National Service he retrained as an instrument mechanic with Rolls Royce in Derby but soon came back to Ulverston to work at VSEL in Barrow. Forced redundancy brought a change of direction when he accepted a post of technical author at BNFL.  Jack enjoyed researching aspects of local history and frequently gave talks on the subject.Also by Jack Layfield:  Ulverston Canal and the Construction of Collins Weir.