CALLING CUMBRIAN POETS!
A New Anthology of Cumbrian Poetry
Handstand Press invites poets currently living or who have lived in Cumbria to submit three poems (maximum 60 lines) for inclusion in a new and exciting anthology of best contemporary poetry.
The selection panel will be looking for lively, contemplative writing that fastens on the particular effect that Cumbrian people and places have on the imagination. The anthology aims to extend the rich tradition of Lake District verse in a collection by today’s poets.
Deadline for submission is April 1st 2018. All poets will be notified of the panel’s decision at the end of June 2018. The anthology will be published in 2018 and poets whose work is chosen for inclusion will reach receive a copy. The work will be promoted in a series of events around the county to celebrate the launch of the publication. The selection panel will comprise Liz Nuttall from Handstand Press and poets Kim Moore and Kerry Darbishire.
- For the purposes of this publication we seek poets with a strong association with Cumbria. In that context this means writers currently residing in the county or who have, at any time, continuously lived in Cumbria for a minimum period of a year.
- Entry is open to poets aged 15 or over at the time of entering.
- The closing date is midnight, 1st April 2018.
- Entrants should submit a maximum of three poems.
- Each poem should be no longer than 60 lines.
- The poems will be considered anonymously by the panel. Please do not print your name with the poem.
- Entries should be by post, printed on A4 in a minimum font size of 12pt.
- Poems sent by email will not be accepted.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a top sheet giving the poet’s name, contact details (including email address) and poem titles. Please give brief details of when, where and for how long you have lived in Cumbria.
- The address for entries is: Handstand Press, East Banks, Dent. LA10 5QT.
- Poems can be previously published, but poets will be responsible for gaining permission to reproduce previously published work – please indicate where the poem was published on your cover sheet and confirm you have permission to publish it.
- Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- If you would like confirmation your entry has been received please enclose a stamped, addressed envelope.
- Under no circumstances can alterations be made to poems once entered.
- All entrants will be advised of the panel’s decision before the end of June 2018.
- The selection panel’s decision will be final and Handstand Press will not enter into any correspondence.
- Publication is planned for Autumn/Winter2018.